Updated Version: MalaysiaKini.com reported this:
The Permatang Pauh by-election is slated for Aug 26 (Tuesday) - with nomination day on Aug 16 (Saturday) - announced the Election Commission this morning.
The EC also said it would use the latest electoral roll for the by-election, which will see 57,969 registered voters being eligible to vote as of July 31. There are also 490 postal voters.
For preview purpose, we analyze a "pro forma" electoral roll for Permatang Pauh, P044 updated to 2008Mar 31. It contained 58,761 voters, including 491 postal voters, distributed over 28 voting districts (DM), 25 polling stations (TM), and 111 voting streams (Saluran).
The two tables below are prepared from our "pro forma" electoral roll that approximates the one gazetted by the SPR on 2008 Jun 19, by combining the full electoral roll gazetted on 2008 Feb 3 with the 2008Q1 supplementary rolls. See Permatang Pauh By-Election - Which Electoral Roll? for details.
DUNs, voter counts, and breakdown into DMs, TM, and Saluran (voting streams). Table A shows that:
- The Permatang Pauh parlliamentary constituency contains 58,791 voters.
- It contains 3 DUN or state assembly seats,
- N10 or Seberang Jaya contains 22,880 voters, 9 DMs, 8 TMs, and 39 Salurans,
- N11 or Permatang Pasir contains 20,397 voters, 9 DMs, 8 TMs, and 40 Salurans,
- N12 Penanti contains 15,484 voters, 10 DMs, 9 TMs, and 32 Salurans.
- A "saluran" is a voting stream, or a voting room, also where votes are counted independently, on-location, after the polling stations close.
- See maps at Understanding Permatang Pauh P044
List of all DMs, TMs, and Voter Count for each DM. Table B shows that:
- P044 contains 28 DMs (Daerah Mengundi or Voting Districts),
- It also contains 25 TMs (Tempat Mengundi, or Polling Stations),
- That means 3 pairs of DMs are sharing the same TMs. These shared TMs are highlighted in blue and bold-face below,
- N10, Seberang Jaya, contains 9 DMs, and 8 TMs, because Sekolah Kebangsaan Seberang Jaya II Lengkok Tenggiri is shared as TM by 2 DMs (Seberang Jaya II and Jalan Tuna).
- N11, Permatang Pasir, contains 9 DMs, and 8 TMs, because Sekolah Kebangsaan Seri Penanti is shared as TM by 2 DMs (Kubang Semang and Tanah Liat Mukim 8)
- N12, Penanti, contains 10 DMs, and 9 TMs, because Sekolah Kebangsaan Tanah Liat is used as TM by 2 DMs (Sungai Semambu and Tanah Liat Mukim 9).
- The largest TM or voting station is Sekolah Kebangsaan Seberang Jaya II Lengkok Tenggiri, which serves as the voting station for both DM Seberang Jaya II (044/10/02) and DM Jalan Tuna (044/10/08).
- Total voters assigned to Sekolah Kebangsaan Seberang Jaya II Lengkok Tenggiri is 6,085, before fully taking into account 2008Q1 voter changes.
- Sekolah Kebangsaan Seberang Jaya II Lengkok Tenggiri requires 10 voting streams (Saluran) to handle the number of voters.
- The second largest voting station is Sekolah Kebangsaan Tanah Liat, which serves as the voting station for both Sungai Semambu (044/12/08) and Tanah Liat Mukim 9 (044/12/09).
- Total voters assigned to Sekolah Kebangsaan Tanah Liat is 3,819, before fully taking into account 2008Q1 voter changes.
- Sekolah Kebangsaan Tanah Liat requires 8 voting streams (Saluran) to handle the number of voters.
- The third largest voting station is Sekolah Kebangsaan Seri Penanti, which serves as the voting station for both Kubang Semang (044/11/06) and Tanah Liat Mukim 8 (044/11/07).
- Total voters assigned to Sekolah Kebangsaan Seri Penanti is 3,616, before fully taking into account 2008Q1 voter changes.
- Sekolah Kebangsaan Seri Penanti requires 9 voting streams (Saluran) to handle the number of voters.
|TM (Tempat Mengundi)||Voter|
|044/10/01||Seberang Jaya||Jalan Sembilang||Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Seberang Jaya||3,000||5||6|
|044/10/02||Seberang Jaya||Seberang Jaya II||Sekolah Kebangsaan Seberang Jaya II Lengkok Tenggiri||2,972||10||1|
|044/10/03||Seberang Jaya||Kampong Pertama||Sekolah Kebangsaan Permatang Tok Kandu||1,619||3|
|044/10/04||Seberang Jaya||Kampong Belah Dua||Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Pauh Jaya Taman Pauh||2,181||4|
|044/10/05||Seberang Jaya||Seberang Jaya I||Sekolah Kebangsaan Seberang Jaya Persiaran Siakap||3,113||5||4|
|044/10/06||Seberang Jaya||Jalan Bahru||Sekolah Kebangsaan Jalan Baharu||2,280||4|
|044/10/07||Seberang Jaya||Simpang Ampat||Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Permatang Rawa||2,645||4||10|
|044/10/08||Seberang Jaya||Jalan Tuna||Sekolah Kebangsaan Seberang Jaya II Lengkok Tenggiri||2,935||1|
|044/10/09||Seberang Jaya||Taman Tun Hussein Onn||Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Tun Hussien Onn||2,135||4|
|044/11/01||Permatang Pasir||Sama Gagah||Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Sama Gagah||2,793||5||7|
|044/11/02||Permatang Pasir||Permatang Ara||Sekolah Kebangsaan Permatang Pasir||3,000||5||5|
|044/11/03||Permatang Pasir||Permatang Pauh||Sekolah Kebangsaan Permatang Pauh||1,766||4|
|044/11/04||Permatang Pasir||Bukit Indra Muda||Sekolah Kebangsaan Bukit Indera Muda||2,761||5||8|
|044/11/05||Permatang Pasir||Kampong Pelet||Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan (Cina) Kubang Semang Jalan Kepala Batas||1,763||5|
|044/11/06||Permatang Pasir||Kubang Semang||Sekolah Kebangsaan Seri Penanti||1,431||7||3|
|044/11/07||Permatang Pasir||Tanah Liat Mukim 8||Sekolah Kebangsaan Seri Penanti||2,185||3|
|044/11/08||Permatang Pasir||Kampong Cross Street 2||Maktab Adabi Jalan Abdul Kadir|
Sekolah Rendah Islam Al-Masriyah, Jalan Abdul Kadir
|044/11/09||Permatang Pasir||Permatang Tengah||Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan (Cina) Lay Keow Permatang Pauh||2,503||5|
|044/12/01||Penanti||Guar Perahu||Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Guar Perahu||1,924||4|
|044/12/02||Penanti||Kuala Mengkuang||Sekolah Kebangsaan Guar Perahu||2,736||5||9|
|044/12/03||Penanti||Telok Wang||Dewan Kelas (Kafa) Kampong Tun Sardon Ara Kuda|
Dewan Orang Ramai, Kampung Tun Sardon
|044/12/04||Penanti||Mengkuang||Sekolah Kebangsaan Mengkuang||1,912||4|
|044/12/05||Penanti||Sungai Lembu||Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan (Cina) Perkampungan Sungai Lembu||510||1|
|044/12/06||Penanti||Penanti||Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Mengkuang||1,070||3|
|044/12/07||Penanti||Kubang Ulu||Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Penanti||1,435||3|
|044/12/08||Penanti||Sungai Semambu||Sekolah Kebangsaan Tanah Liat||1,889||8||2|
|044/12/09||Penanti||Tanah Liat Mukim 9||Sekolah Kebangsaan Tanah Liat||1,930||2|
|044/12/10||Penanti||Berapit Road||Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan (Cina) Jit Sin (A) Jalan Berapit||1,472||3|
- Red, bold, font indicate the same voting station or TM is used by two DMs,
- You can copy this table, simply by clicking-and-dragging to darken this table, then copying, and going to Excel, selecting Menu>Edit>Paste Special>Text and OK.
Important for election monitoring, because:
- the information will help plan personnel placement at various polling centers (TM), and
- it will help make an estimation of the "saluran" or voting rooms, that are important for vote counting.
- For example, based on the tables above, an election observation group will need to have
- At least 25 field teams on polling day, to be able to cover every one of the 25 TM or Voting Stations,
- At least 111 observers, to be able to observe each voting stream (Saluran).
- The team allocation should refer to Tables A and B.
- For example, at least 10 observers should be dispatched to Sekolah Kebangsaan Seberang Jaya II Lengkok Tenggiri just to observe each voting stream and each vote counting room. This does not count the general observers outside of the voting stream class room.
You can help complete the above information by working on http://wikimapia.org. Please "create places" in WikiMapia.org for the schools used as polling station, using the schools' full names shown above. Or if they have already been created, find their URL at WikiMapia.
Supply us with their URL in WikiMapia.org using the comment box below. I can add the URLs in the above table, to help election observers plan personnel allocation, and find each school.
The above tables are based on a "pro forma" electoral roll for data up to 2008 Mar 31, and is meant to approximate the electoral roll for P044 gazetted on 2008 Jun 19 by the SPR. We have built it by appending the 2008Q1 quarterly supplemental roll of voter changes onto the data of 2007 Dec 31, which was gazetted on 2008 Feb 5 and used in the 12th GE.
We make all efforts to be accurate, but the data may still contain errors. The SPR may also decide to use a different set of data for the by-election, such as the 2008 Jun 30 (2008Q2) data, to be gazetted at a future date.