Where is Penanti, how many regular voters and postal voters are there? What have been their voting history? Undi.info provides much of the background information.
Penanti (N12) is a small state seat within Permatang Pauh parliamentary constituency (P044), on the eastern side of Penang state, adjoining Kedah state. It is relatively rural within the urbanized Permatang Pauh.
The Penanti state constituency (See Wikimapia.org map) appears to:
- straddle both side of the eastern part of Kulim-Butterworth highway, mostly lying on the north side of the highway,
- be roughly bordered on the west by Jalan Abdul Kadir, Jalan Tanah Liat, and part of Jalan Arumugam Pilai,
- be roughly bordered on the north by P118 and P116 highways,
- be bordered on the east by the Penang-Kedah border,
- be roughly bordered on the south by the Mengkuang Dam hills, P129 and K120
- There appears to be a gerrymandering "tongue" that extends southeast into Bukit Mertajam, together with N10 and N11, which allows the Permatang Pauh parliamentary constituency to capture the new Bukit Mertajam police headquarters (and its 400+ police voters), while excluding the more urban areas of N13 and N15.
MAFREL operating center for Penanti is located at at: Dewan Jawatankuasa Kemajuan Kampung (JKKK) Bukit Indera Muda 14000 Bukit Mertajam.
It is next to a badminton court.
How to go there (See Wikimapia map): From Permatang Pauh go to Kubang Semang. After seeing a mosque go another 100m and look for the operation Centre on the right. There will be a big MAFREL banner.
Source of constituency maps: http://undi.info/state/pn.html
Table A shows that:
- Penanti electoral roll dated 2008 April 16 contains 15,384 voters
- This total is made up of 15,360 regular voters, 23 police postal voters, and 1 absentee postal voter.
- Penanti contains 10 DM, or Daerah Mengundi, or Voting District.
- Penanti contains 9 TMs, Tempat Mengundi, or Voting Stations (mostly schools),
- Two of the DMs share the same TM.
- The 23 police postal voters are registered at Balai Polis Kubang Semang.
Table A: P044 Permatang Pauh N12 Penanti 20090416 By-Election Roll
Summary of Data By DUN
|Parl/DUN||NamaDUN||DM count||TM count||Saluran count||Voter count|
|Total including postal voteres||15,384|
|Parl/DUN/DM||NamaDUN||NamaDM||TM / NamaLokaliti||Saluran||Voters|
|044/12/07/701||Penanti||Kubang Ulu||Pos / Balai Polis Kubang Semang||0||23|
|044/12/09/801||Penanti||Tanah Liat Mukim 9||Pos / Pemilih Tak Hadir||0||1|
Voting history from Undi.info
|PENANG: N12 - Penanti||Voters: 15,421|
|UMNO||Datuk Abdul Jalil Abdul Majid||5127|
|PKR||Mohammad Fairus Khairuddin||7346||2,219|
|Racial Breakdown||Malay: 73.00%, Chinese: 24.20%, Indian: 2.40%, Others: 0.10%|
|PENANG: N12 - Penanti||Voters: 14,808|
|UMNO||Datuk Abdul Jalil Abdul Majid||6195||667|
|Racial Breakdown||Malay: 70.1%, Chinese: 26.7%, Indian: 2.7%, Others: 0.5%|
|State Seats / Polling Districts||Guar Perahu, Kuala Mengkuang, Telok Wang, Mengkuang, Sungai Lembu, Penanti, Kubang Ulu, Sungai Semambu, Tanah Liat Mukim 9, Berapit Road,|